Friday 27 September 2019

"The best day of Grade 2" (Chase)

Orange Shirt Day is this coming Monday, September 30. We read a story today called Tyson's New Orange Shirt. Some of the things we learned/talked about were:

  • it reminds me of I might have gone to a school like that (Laith)
  • I learned that Orange Shirt Day means that all children matter (Sayeh)
  • I didn't realize that Orange Shirt Day was so special (Zoey S.)
  • I didn't realize that in the past they didn't want people to be who they really were (Jaxon)
  • Everybody is different and it doesn't matter what you look like (Aaron)
  • Some people thought it was okay for their kids to go there but it wasn't (Myles)
  • I wonder when this stopped, and if it was in September (Avery) - we'll look into this for Monday
  • It doesn't matter what you look like, we're all special (Maddox)

We look forward to seeing all of your orange shirts on Monday! (if you don't have an orange shirt, don't worry - don't worry about going out of your way to purchase one or anything)

Science objective today: I will describe the interaction of magnets with other magnets and with common materials

"I thought that the horseshoe magnet would be the strongest because it was the biggest and it looked big and strong, but it turned out to be really weak" - Kohde
"I learned that if you just keep the magnets together through glass and be careful, then it will just stay there until you let your magnet go, then it goes down and sticks to the bottom of the door." - Drayden
"Magnets stick together and when you tip it the other way it turns" - Colby (talking about north and south poles of the magnets)
"I guessed the horseshoe magnet because it was the biggest and it looked like it could hold the most paperclips, but it could only hold 20 or under. The bar magnet is the strongest, it held around 80!" -Eric
"I learned that small ring magnet doesn't mean it's not strong." - Chasity
"For some reason when I used materials that were not magnetic, when I used objects that didn't really stick, I put a magnet on one side and on the other side I put a paperclip, then I let go of the paperclip and I put my hand on whatever object it was, then I moved the magnet around and on the other side the paperclip moved!" - Jaxon


Today we noticed that we had a lot more fun and a lot more learning than we did yesterday. Yesterday we were super chatty and had a hard time working together. It was hard to learn because not everyone was trying their best. Today, it was WAY better! EVERYONE was focussed, EVERYONE was learning a TON. We got to play some math games and some literacy games as well. Great job, Grade 2s. Overheard in our classroom: "Today was seriously the best day of Grade 2 so far."


Raz-Kids Update:
We sent home login information for Raz-Kids today. We hope you all have fun reading on the weekend! Click here to begin:

Mrs. Cose's teacher username: amcose 
Mrs. Seymour's teacher username: hseymour5

If you would like to be updated and receive progress reports, the easiest way is that after your child logs in you can click on the green "parent" button at the top of the screen and enter your email address. See form for alternate methods of signing up for updates.


Have a WONDERFUL weekend! We look forward to more great learning next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment