Wednesday 12 February 2020

The Giant Map!

Happy half-birthday, Bailey!

Today we explored increasing patterns using manipulatives. Here are some of the things we were working on:
We started with two orange and one green. Then we made a four orange and 2 green house. We extended our pattern and got to 16 orange and 8 green.

I was adding to my houses. I added one block each time. My pattern was a +1 pattern.

I was making a person pattern. It started with a body, then legs, then the arms. I was going to put hair and a hat on next.

I started with a yellow and a green. Then I added red to my pattern. Each time I added one red block.

I did a sideways pattern. I started with one purple, one yellow and one orange. Then I had 2 of each colour, then 3, then 4. 

My pattern was growing upward. I had green and blue chips. I started with 2 dark blue on the bottom and put one green on top. Then I started putting them in the next part of my pattern. Each section of my pattern had 3 more parts. It was a +3 pattern. It was a Blast!

Since it is almost Valentine's Day I used red and pink. I did a 1, 2, 3, and 4 pattern with each colour and then joined them together.

I started off with 2 and every time I added to my pattern I added 2 more buttons. I got to 10 buttons. I always used an even number of buttons.

I started with 2, then 4, then 6, then 8, and 10.

I started with 3 and added 3 more each time. 3, 6, 9, 12. When I was cleaning up I noticed that I had used 30 blocks!

On one side I did the groups and after each time I added 3 to the other side. I went up to 5 parts of my pattern.

I went from smallest to biggest. I started with 2 then I got 4. I kept going until in the 9th one I used 18 buttons. 




Guess what! When we came back from lunch, there was a huge map on the floor that took up the whole classroom! We could all fit around the outside, and it wouldn't even fit in one picture it was so big! Imagine that! Here are some of the things that we learned from our initial observations of the map:










A perseverance challenge in math, to learn two new strategies: acting it out, and guess and check!

You have NINE valentines and you need to arrange them in the following grid so that there are a total of exactly FOUR hearts/valentines in each row and each column.







We did it!






Success on Challenge #2:

Now you have TEN valentines and you need to arrange them in the following grid so that there are a total of exactly THREE hearts/valentines in each row and each column.



No comments:

Post a Comment