Tuesday 18 February 2020

Disconnect Challenge has Begun!

Welcome back! It was so great to hear so many students talk about what they did with their families on the weekend!

We missed many birthdays on the extra-long weekend... happy birthday/half-birthday to so many friends!

 
 

Increasing Patterns
We've been learning about increasing patterns, which are patterns that grow or get bigger. Today we had thirty task cards and tried to identify the patterns and extend them.


Disconnect Challenge
The (optional) media fast has begun! We encourage you to talk with your family about healthy alternatives to screen time, and/or some guidelines or boundaries you could put in place (e.g. no screens at the table, no TV after dinner, only using phones for communication or photos, using computers or tablets for only work, etc.). Some of the comments we've heard from students in our classes:

  • I wish I could spend more time with my parents, they're always on their phones
  • Sometimes I'm telling a story and my mom is like, "Uh-huh" and just keeps looking at her phone
  • My mom and dad are on their phones all the time
  • It's sad when my parents are on their phones too much and I'm trying to say something, sometimes they ignore me
  • Sometimes when I tell my mom what happens in my life, she's just on her phone and I have to say her name a few times
  • When I ask my dad to play with me, he just ignores me and keeps spending time on his phone
  • When my dad is playing on his computer and I'm trying to tell him something, he yells at me

We talked about some of the things we could do instead of screen time:

  • board games
  • reading (a real book, not just on a tablet!)
  • go for a walk
  • play with your sibling
  • colouring
  • go somewhere (swimming, bowling, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment